English Double Harpsichord
The large two-manual harpsichord is a copy of one made by Jacob and Abraham Kirckman in 1786, belonging to the late John Barnes. It is typical of late 18th century English production. These were large, handsome and expensive instruments, many of which were bought by the gentry - indeed few other people at that time would have had sufficient space for them.
The large case is in oak, veneered in flame mahogany, with decorative brass hinges. The inside is veneered in burr walnut and satin-wood. The disposition is the standard one for large late English doubles, namely two eight foot and one four foot choirs, lute stop and harp stop with dog leg jacks on the front eight foot. The compass is five octaves FF to f''' and keyboards have bone naturals and ebony sharps.