The Schiedmayer clavichord is based on one made by Johann Christoph Georg in 1796, which is now in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. The Schiedmayers were a family of instrument makers and one of Johann Christoph Georg’s brothers went on to make pianos and start the family firm in Stuttgart which still flourishes.
This is a large unfretted instrument with a compass of over 5 octaves, FF to g’’’, and is ideal for later repertoire including CPE Bach, Haydn, and Mozart (and perhaps even early Beethoven and Mendelssohn). In common with many Saxon clavichords the bridge has grooves across the top which keep the strings tightly against the pins, and reduce the need for heavy down-bearing. There is a set of “counter pins” at the edge of the hitch pin rail, which shorten the after lengths, and an over-rail, and these combine to give the clavichord quite a firm touch. The sound is well balanced with a sustained and sonorous bass and bright and incisive treble.
The case is made of oak, stained dark brown, with an eight panelled lid and a restrained stand with turned legs based on a classical column shape.